***Giveaway ended. Winner notified by email.***
One of my all time favorite hymns is What a Friend We Have in Jesus. The simple beauty of the lyrics reach deep within. Perhaps, because I know that it’s author, Joseph Scriven, endured so much loss in his lifetime, yet counted it a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer. Somehow, when I know the story behind a song, or hymn, the chords reverberate more powerfully within. There have, in fact, been a few songs that I initially detested because they made no sense to me. But, once I knew the story behind them, I came to appreciate, and yes, even like them.
I recently had an opportunity to review Then Sings My Soul Special Edition by Robert J. Morgan.
Don’t look for a dry recounting of boring historical fact, the devotional-style stories in Then Sings My Soul show the emotion and drama behind the hymns of faith that have changed many lives throughout history. Designed to be personally reflective, these stories speak to the soul and add depth to a meaningful worship time with God through song.
Recounted are stories of the people whose faith led them to write these wonderful seasonal hymns and the people whose faith was affected by reading, hearing, and singing the songs.
Includes words and music to each hymn
Special, softcover, French flap cover design
Ivory paper with brown ink
Jagged edged paper, giving it a classic feel
Complete with hymn index
Use for devotionals, teaching illustrations, introductory remarks for song leaders and music ministers
Then Sings My Soul Special Edition contains the songs and stories of 150 hymns, including well loved favorites like Amazing Grace and lesser known ballads such as There’s a Song in the Air. It is a paperback book filled with ivory pages that have jagged edges, which really lends to the classic feel. I really enjoyed reading the stories behind some of these songs. Some of them I was already familiar with, such as Amazing Grace. But the stories behind others, such as Blessed Assurance, were new to me. I think this book would make a perfect gift for anyone who loves hymns. Because it has a selection of songs for Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, as well as other favorites, it would be an ideal gift any time of year.
Buy it… Then Sings My Soul Special Edition is available at Christian retailers nationwide and on Amazon.com.
Win it… Thomas Nelson Publishers would like to give one lucky TBC reader their own copy of Then Sings My Soul Special Edition.
Mandatory entry… Tell me your favorite hymn. If you don’t have a favorite hymn, tell me one you would love to know the story behind.
***Please note- this must be done before any bonus entries will count***
- +1- Follow me on GFC—right side bar, comment with your user name.
- +1- Like me on Facebook and comment back here with your screen name.
- +1- Follow me on Twitter AND tweet this contest using @ladyvdzine and linking back to this post- comment with your tweet status (may be done up to 4x/day, at least 30 minutes apart)
- May use “#win Then Sings My Soul http://goo.gl/yys2l via @ladyvdzine (01/28) @ThomasNelson #giveaway #book”
- +1– Like Thomas Nelson on Facebook and comment back with your screen name.
- +1- Follow Thomas Nelson on Twitter and comment back with your profile name.
- +1- Visit Thomas Nelson and comment back with one other title you would like to have.
- +1- Share this giveaway on your Facebook page and comment back with a link to the share (may be done 1x/day).
- +1- For each current giveaway that you enter- comment with name of giveaway
- +1- For each non-giveaway post that you submit to StumbleUpon *may use the button in the top/bottom of each post to submit- comment back with your Stumble Upon profile and name of the post you submitted.
- +1- For each non-giveaway post that you leave a RELEVANT comment on- comment back with post title or link to post.
- +5- Blog this contest linking to this post- leave 5 comments here with a link to your post
The fine print…
Contest open to US addresses.. Contest ends at 11:59 a.m. CST on 01/28/2011. Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond with mailing address. If no response is received from the winning entrant, a new winner will be selected. Prize will be forfeited and donated to charity if not claimed by primary or alternate winners.
The fine folks at Thomas Nelson Publishers provided me with the aforementioned complimentary product(s) to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions express are 100% my own and are based on my own experience. Your experience may differ.