Water is SO important in maintaining your child’s health. Did you know that only 15% if school-age kids drink the recommended amount of water? Getting MY kids to drink water is not always the easiest thing to do. Getting them to talk about water is equally as challenging. Check this out…
As I said, I’ve learned a few tricks, along the way, to get them to drink water.
- Keep water available and within reach.
- Remind them to drink water.
- Add a slice of lemon, orange, cucumber, or mint sprig to their water
- Use fun straws
- Serve water with meals
- Limit other beverage options
- Figure out what temp they like their water at. My daughter likes it cold, cold, cold. My son likes it at room temp. Serve it the way they like it.
- Teach your kids that pee should be light yellow or near clear, so if they see color when they go potty, they should drink a cup of water. They will make a game of it, so be prepared to hear them holler their results from the bathroom.
- Be their best example!
- Get them a really cool water bottle.
That’s some ways I’ve helped my kids discover the wonders of drinking water.