Valentine’s Day catches a lot of flak for being the type of holiday that promotes commercialism, but try not buying anything for your significant other and see how well that goes over. Even though most of us do not like to admit that we fall into the consumerism of this holiday, few of us will turn down a thoughtful sentiment from our loved one. Instead of the predictable, humdrum candy and card, mix it up a bit this year and consider the following ten non candy Valentine gifts for the one you love…
- Schedule a romantic getaway at a local lodge or bed and breakfast.
- Take them on a walking tour of a nearby city/town that you haven’t explored together yet. Scope it out ahead of time, so you know where to stop for a great cup of coffee or to grab a bite.
- Give the gift of pampering with a spa gift certificate or voucher for a manicure/pedicure. If you’re shopping for the man in your life, consider a gift card to a traditional barber shop so he can get a classic cut and shave the old fashioned way. Want the spa treatment to last a little longer? Make him or her an at home spa basket with their favorite bath and body products.
- Get your loved ones’ car washed, waxed, and detailed on the interior. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, block off an afternoon and do it yourself!
- Make your significant other breakfast in bed or a homemade candlelit dinner. If the one you love does have a sweet tooth, consider making your own sweet treats like these White Raspberry and Chocolate Creams for dessert.
- Buy their favorite cologne or perfume. If you’re not sure what scent they normally wear, pick out something that matches their personality.
- Consider accessories or supplies for their favorite activity or hobby – golf balls, craft supplies, video game, fitness gear etc.
- Give them the gift of an unforgettable experience. Check deal sites, like Groupon, for discounts on local activities like rock climbing, horseback riding, race car driving, or even skydiving.
- Make a personalized item for your significant other like a coffee mug, picture frame, or necklace.
- Most importantly, give them what they want. If your love has mentioned a particular gift or item in the past that they would like, be sure to make a mental note, or keep a secret Pinterest board, so you can keep track of things they want or need – even if it is something as simple and practical as a clean house.
A well thought out, well planned gift will always be appreciated.
Want to give candy, too? I’ve got you covered!