It’s mid August, and I just started taking classes at the gym last week.
I had to switch things up for several reasons…
- I had a ton of sores on my feet during July, and was unable to go to the gym at all. Thank you, Hay Wells Syndrome. I literally was in flip flops the entire month, and couldn’t bear to wear tennis shoes because my feet hurt.
- I’m fat. Please note- I am not self deprecating, merely stating that according to the BMI calculator, I am clinically obese. The month of forced inactivity in July did absolutely nothing to help that.
- I’ve never taken a class before, and I needed some motivation. I don’t have a workout buddy, so I thought maybe a class would provide motivation.
- As a homemaking homeschooling Mom, I need a break from my wonderful children. I wanted to maximize the time they are allowed in the Kids Club, and taking a class allows me to do that.
The classes I’ve taken are…
The Les Mills BODYPUMP™ class… BODYPUMP™ is supposed to help you get lean, toned and fit – fast. It uses light to moderate weights, both on the bar and off, with lots of repetition. BODYPUMP™ is definitely a total body workout. The instructor is fun, upbeat, and encouraging. I really like this class.
The GGX Body Mix class… The Body Mix class uses a combination of bands, light weights, and steps. The class is fast paced and intense, never the same body mix twice. The instructor is fierce. The day after class equals serious soreness.
The Hatha Yoga class. This was my first ever yoga class, and I was only able to attend the first half due to having to pick the kids up from the Kids Club. This yoga class focuses on physical posture, breathing, and balance. The instructor is pleasant, friendly, and welcoming.
What I’ve learned…
- I enjoy working out in a group.
- I can push my body further than I thought.
- I’ve apparently been doing lunges incorrectly forever. So sorry to my knees. :/
- I can hold a plank a whole lot longer than I thought I could, and I still hate them.
- Push-ups kill me, but I love push presses!
- I want my own yoga mat, gloves, and the little foam thingy to put on the bar bell for when its on my shoulders.
- I want some different workout clothes.
- I want to try some of the BeachBody workout DVDs at home. I’ve always been intimidated by them, but if I can do BODYPUMP at the gym, I could do it at home, right?
I have a long way to go. I want to do a 15K in December, and hope I’m ready for it.
Do you take group fitness classes? Which is your favorite?