Winter typically means snow around here, but this year has been kind of weird. The snow isn’t falling, and we’re reduced to having
fake snowball fights. Another way to add some winter cheer is with Snowball Cupcakes!
I know right? That’s one snowball I wouldn’t mind eating! Make your own Snowball Cupcakes with this recipe…
- Chocolate Cupcake Recipe adapted from here
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ hot coffee
- ¾ cup bread flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4oz cream cheese
- 4oz butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Shredded coconut for Garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour the hot coffee on top and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- While you wait, preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Line your cupcake pan with paper liners, or grease.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set them aside.
- Remove the cooled mixture from the refrigerator and beat in the eggs. Whisk in the oil, applesauce, vinegar and vanilla until smooth. Then stir in the dry ingredients a little at a time until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan cups – they should be no more than ⅔’s full. Bake for about 16-19 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Turn the cupcakes out onto a wire rack after 10 minutes, and let cool completely before frosting.
- Remove the butter and the cream cheese from the refrigerator about 1 hour before preparing the frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth. With the mixer speed on low, add in the coconut extract, then slowly add in the powdered sugar. You may or may not want a dash of milk depending on the consistency.
- Frost your cupcakes and then pour some of the shredded coconut into the palm of your hand. Gently cup the top of the cupcake and press the coconut into the frosting.
Chances are you won’t be throwing these at anyone!
Find all your cupcake supplies on Amazon!