Maybe it’s because I love the book Scarecrow Pete, or maybe it’s because I grew up watching Wizard of Oz. Either way, I think scarecrows are fun. When I see scarecrows start popping up in seasonal decor, I just have to smile. We love crafting for the seasons, so I thought I’d share a scarecrow paper plate craft with you. This one is fun and allows room for creative expression.
Scarecrow Paper Plate Craft
Scarecrow Paper Plate Craft Supplies
- Paper plate
- 1.5″ burlap ribbon
- Tan and cream craft paint
- Googly eyes
- Orange card stock
- Black craft paint or black Sharpie
- School Glue or Hot Glue Gun and Hot Glue Sticks
Scarecrow Paper Plate Craft Directions
- Paint your paper plate with your tan colored craft paint and let dry.
- Cut a triangle out of your orange card stock and glue to the center of your paper plate.
- Glue to googly eyes above the triangle.
- Use a paint brush and black paint or a black Sharpie to draw a wavy mouth and an outline around the nose.
- Paint or draw dashes through the mouth and outlines nose and paint 2 small circles on the side of the mouth to look like cheeks.
- Cut 2 sets of about 10 pieces of raffia about 5″ long and tie with another piece in the center.
- Glue the raffia to each side on the top of the paper plate.
- Cut a 5″ piece of burlap off and fold in half to look like a triangle and another 8″ piece in half and glue to the top of the plate to look like a hat like pictured.
Fun Scarecrow Books for Kids
I mentioned that I love the book Scarecrow Pete. It’s a tremendously fun book! Scarecrow Pete is no ordinary scarecrow! He’s a straw-filled dreamer who uses books to transport himself to new places. When a visitor discovers him, the two use books to travel and experience new lands and explore. Scarecrow Pete is sure to become a fast family favorite. Grab your copy today!