Heat up your waffle irons and make these cute patriotic waffles for breakfast! Don't have a waffle iron? These would work on a frozen waffle, too! The kids would have a blast making them!
If you're making your own waffles, you'll need a waffle iron and Carbon's Golden Malted Premium Grid Conditioner. It is water based, food grade, and does not cause build-up unlike most oil based sprays. Your waffles may even be pretty enough to photograph without fruit on them. ;)
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE WAFFLES
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1/3 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups whole milk
HOMEMADE WAFFLES DIRECTIONS
1. Add all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
2. Separate both eggs, adding the yolks to the dry ingredient mixture and placing the whites in a separate small mixing bowl.
3. Beat the whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.
4. And the milk and melted butter to the dry ingredient mixture and blend well.
5. Fold the stiff egg whites into the dry ingredient mixture.
6. Pour waffle batter into a hot waffle iron and bake.
7. Remove hot waffle from waffle iron and immediately place on plate to cool.
INGREDIENTS FOR PATRIOTIC WAFFLES
Waffles (homemade or store-bought)
Whipped Cream Cheese
Fresh strawberries, sliced diagonally
Bananas, sliced length-wise and then sliced in half
DIRECTIONS FOR PATRIOTIC WAFFLES
1. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream cheese on a waffle.
3. Place a single layer of blueberries along the entire outer edge of the waffle.
4. Add additional blueberries to the upper left corner of the waffle to resemble the stars of the flag.
5. Alternate strawberry and banana slices to make the stripes of the flag, the cream cheese will hold the fruit pieces in place.
6. Repeat step 5 all of the way down the waffle.