My youngest daughter loves stories about people who have accomplished great things. I frequently try to work stories about everyday heroes into our morning basket, because she loves them. From Rosa Parks to Amy Carmichael to Captain Eddie Simpson – she loves stories about people who did their best to improve their corner of the world. She has finished the digital portion of her first grade language arts program, and has minimal work left to do in her workbooks. I've been shopping around for second grade reading and language arts programs that would work for her. I was intrigued then, when I received an opportunity to review a unit from the Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts curriculum from Kendall Hunt RPD. I chose the Pathways Grade 2 Heroes Unit, which is about Albert Einstein.
Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts Overview
Pathways2.0 (yes the 2.0 is part of the word Pathways) is a faith based elementary reading and language arts program. It is comprehensive, meaning it includes reading, phonics, spelling, comprehension, writing, and more. Each unit is designed to follow a broad theme and uses award winning trade books that children want to read. The scope and sequence of each unit is designed to encourage students to want to read, write, and learn. The publisher writes, “Pathways 2.0 provides all students with the opportunity to become passionate learners, readers, and writers…”
Curriculum Themed Units
As mentioned before, the Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts curriculum is built around broad themes. Each grade level is divided into nine themed units. Each unit has a corresponding Teacher Daily Lesson Guide which is designed for a 5 day week and lasts 4 weeks.
- Heroes – the Heroes units feature heroes who overcome insurmountable odds – from social injustice to physical disability to defending faith in hostile environments.
- My World – the My World units help students explore different cultures and political settings and how they impact the lives of those who live there.
- Environment – the Environment selections correlate the relationship between people and their environment from a faith based viewpoint, and emphasizes personal responsibility and stewardship of the world around us.
- Personal Feelings – the Personal Feelings unit explores personal issues and struggles students may face as they move from one stage of development to another with an emphasis on personal character development.
- Friends & Family – the Friends & Family theme emphasizes interrelationships among family and friends. It explores relationship roles, self-acceptance, and God's unconditional love for His children.
- Living Things – the Living Things theme explores God's creation of living things through literature. Each level is a specific life-science focus.
- Walking with God – the Walking with God theme is designed to encourage students to grow spiritually and to foster a personal relationship with Jesus by seeking God's plan for their lives.
- Yesterday – the Yesterday themes explores history through literature while highlighting God's hand in the affairs of humans throughout the ages.
- Social Issues – the Social Issues theme explores the impact of social issues on relationships. Social issues explored include prejudice, physical and mental disabilities, poverty, hunger, cultural differences, immigration, multi- generational relations, and more.
Pathways Grade 2 Heroes Unit
As I mentioned, I selected Pathways Grade 2 Heroes Unit: Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein for this review. In the book, Odd Boy Out, author Don Brown introduces us to the less than magnificent beginnings of an odd boy out. It is simply a beautiful book.
The corresponding Teacher Daily Lesson Guide tells you exactly what to do for this unit. Every day is laid out for you, which is a great sanity save (I mean, time saver) for homeschool parents that are a) busy or b) organizationally challenged. I am both. LOL
Curriculum Key Areas
This curriculum addresses ten key areas in each unit:
- Reading Instruction that fosters inquiry and deeper student involvement in learning
- Spiritual Growth that helps students make good choices in life as well as in reading content
- Reading Motivation that helps students develop a lifelong passion for reading
- Writing and Expression that grows from reading and learning and helps create meaning for students
- Selective Topics that support and encourage writing practice for different purposes and audiences
- Reading Comprehension that grows from systematic instruction and learning strategies that students apply to literature and content subjects
- Phonics Skills that are developed through a sequential program of phonics that includes systematic, daily practice
- Spelling Instruction that is systematic, coordinated with phonics instruction, and addresses the specific developmental level of each student
- Assessment that not only provides teachers and parents with information and tools about student development, but helps students assess their own growth
- Classroom Management that includes whole-class, small group, and individual student activities.
The unit really does include everything you need to teach that unit. It includes the Teacher Daily Lesson Guide and every printable and worksheet you'll need. It's all there for you in one neat bundle. I can see us adding a few more kids books about Albert Einstein to our collection, as my kiddos like to read many books about one person.
Check out these Children's Books about About Einstein!
Have you check out our new homeschool room yet?