You've spent time researching what you need to know before you start intermittent fasting, and have decided to give it a go. As you know, intermittent fasting involves waiting for an extended period before eating a meal. The goal is to eat within a certain amount of time. Different people choose to fast for various lengths of time, which is why you'll find a ton of information about different types of intermittent fasting. Some people will go between 12-14 hours before eating their next meal while others fast for as long as 18-20 hours at a time. Here are Intermittent fasting for beginners tips!
Intermittent Fasting for Beginners
More people are starting to do intermittent fasting. If it is something you are interested in trying, there is some important information to know. It helps to understand some of the benefits associated with intermittent fasting and how you can have the most success with it.
Why Do People Do Intermittent Fasting?
People choose to do intermittent fasting for multiple reasons. One of the most common reasons is to lose weight. Another reason to choose intermittent fasting is chronic inflammation. When intermittent fasting, it gives the body time to digest the consumed food and prevents overeating. When you are not overeating, your body can burn fat and use it for energy, which can help you lose a desirable amount of weight.
What Are the Benefits of Intermittent Fasting?
Weight loss is one of the benefits of intermittent fasting. Those who would like to lose weight can try it for several weeks to see the progress made on the scale. Studies show that those who follow an intermittent fasting plan tend to have lower cholesterol than those who do not. If your doctor has told you that you have high cholesterol, intermittent fasting could improve this health issue.
Some people begin sleeping better as a result of intermittent fasting. Because of these different benefits, many people decide to give this way of eating a try. When you are doing intermittent fasting, you are not starving yourself. You will still fuel your body with nutritious meals. However, you will simply need to do so within a specific time frame selected by you.
Tips to Follow When Trying Intermittent Fasting for Beginners
Going without eating for 14 hours or more at a time might seem impossible to you, but there are some ways to make intermittent fasting a lot easier, especially when you first get started.
- If you think about it, you should be getting about 8 hours of sleep at night.
- If you have your last meal at 7 PM and you end up waking up the next day around 9 AM, you will have already fasted for around 12 hours. You may then want to wait until 11 AM to have your first meal of the day.
- You can customize your fasting periods to fit with your schedule.
- It is always good to do a portion of your fasting while sleeping because you do not have to worry about feeling as hungry during the fast.
- It is best to start slow with a fast of around 12 hours before increasing the number of hours spent fasting.
- Once you get used to fasting for 12 hours, you can increase that time to 14, 16, or 18 hours.
- Consider using an app to track your fasts. I personally like the LIFE Fasting Tracker for tracking fasts.
- It can be helpful to use recipes or food guides for your particular fasting style.
Many people have success with intermittent fasting. You can do it to lose weight and feel better, both physically and mentally. It is not dangerous to do as long as you are doing things the right way. As always, I do recommend talking with your healthcare provider before making changes to your way of eating.