This year is a big year for us. We're homeschooling kindergarten, 4th grade, and 6th grade. Which means I have a child in each K, elementary, and middle school. If I think about it too hard, it's a little overwhelming. We're doing a hybrid homeschool again this year, so that alleviates a *little* bit of the stress. Check out our curriculum choices for homeschooling 4th grade!
Homeschooling 4th Grade
4th Grade Social Studies
Sister really enjoyed learning about Squanto for a project last year, so I am looking forward to exploring her interest in Native Americans (First Nations).
- The Story of the USA Book 1 – we have books 2, 3, and 4 as well, so we'll use them if needed.
- Children’s Encylopedia of American History
- Exploring American History 2nd Edition
- Seaman's Journal: On the Trail with Lewis and Clark
- North American Indians
- If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution
- Peacable Kingdom Award Winning Sticker Fun – United States Reusable Sticker Tote
- Timeline book from Sonlight
- Timeline Figures D from Sonlight
4th Grade Science
Our family, as a whole, loves science. We'll use a lot of science books this year!
- Real Science 4 Kids: Biology, Level 1
- The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body
- Mysteries and Marvels of Nature
- Tops 38 – Radishes
- Tops 39 – Green Thumbs: Corn & Beans
- Extra Science D Student Activity Sheets from Sonlight
As I mentioned in my Homeschooling Kindergarten post, we have a stack of Let’s Read and Find Out Science books to pull from, too, and keep adding to it.
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Tornado Alert
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Earthquakes
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – My Five Senses
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Air is All Around You
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Feel the Wind
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – What Makes Day and Night
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Archaelogists Dig for Clues
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – A Tree is a Plant
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – What Lives in a Shell
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Moon Seems to Change
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Gravity is a Mystery
- Let's Read and Find Out Science – Sunshine Makes the Seasons
- Let's Read and Find Out Science – The Planets in Our Solar System
4th Grade Language Arts
As I mentioned in Our 3rd Grade Curriculum Picks last year, Language Arts is a bit different for my soon to be 4th grader. She has a double deficit learning difference of dyslexia and dysgraphia. She also has eye movement issues and difficuluty with symbol imagery. SO, our Language Arts is a bit all over. We continue to work with a private tutor and she has made AMAZING strides in her reading and writing ability. She is taking a break from vision therapy for a few months, as suggested by the eye doctor, and we'll retest at the end of the year to make sure she hasn't regressed any with her strategies. As with last year, we'll be doing a lot of read aloud books, and we'll take turns reading.
4th Grade Writing
There are two grade levels listed, because she'll finish off her book from last year before moving on.
4th Grade Spelling
- Wilson Reading System Student Workbooks (she uses these with her tutor)
- Sequential Spelling 2
- Sequential Spelling 3
- Sequential Spelling 4
There are three Sequential Spellings listed, because there is no telling how slowly or quickly she may progress in it. Because spelling, and making sense of the written word is a struggle for her, we're adding the ability to do spelling on the computer.
4th Grade Grammar
4th Grade Books to Read Together
- Pocahontas and the Strangers
- Phoebe the Spy
- Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman
- Sarah, Plan and Tall
- The Courage of Sarah Noble
- Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims
- Sarah Whitcher's Story
- The Skippack School
- The Thanksgiving Story
- Timmy O'Dowd and the Big Ditch
As you can see, the list of consumables looks daunting, but we will only move at her pace and we won't be using every page of each of them. Some days she does amazingly well, and other days are a huge struggle. We'll adjust and adapt as necessary. Her list of read alouds isn't quite as long, because I'll try to combine our read aloud time with Little Miss.
4th Grade Math
We use Everyday Mathematics spiraling math curriculum, which is a comprehensive Pre-K through Grade 6 mathematics program. In a spiral curriculum, math concepts are revisited repeatedly over months and across grades.
- Everyday Math for 4th Grade Student Resource Book
- Everyday Math for 4th Grade Student Journal 1
- Everyday Math for 4th Grade Student Journal 2
Be sure to check out my Homeschooling Kindergarten and Homechooling 6th grade. Check out our Our Preschool Curriculum Picks, 3rd Grade Curriculum Picks and 5th Grade Curriculum Picks from last year, too.
Check out the 10th Annual iHomeschool Network Back to Homeschool Blog Hop Curriculum Week, which begins September 3rd, 2018, for more ideas!