What do you do when you have an abundance of carrots? You think of creative ways to use them all, right? I recently made homemade carrot butter, and the recipe is one I just have to share with you. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we are. What is carrot butter, you may ask? It is similar to apple butter, and oh so yum! I enjoyed some on graham crackers last night. OMY! As in, Oh My Yum!
Homemade Carrot Butter
Serve on toast, pancakes, or other treats and watch everyone smile as they eat their vegetables!
- 2 pounds fresh carrots
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup ground almonds may substitute La Choy Chow Mein Noodles as nut free alternative
- Peel fresh carrots and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Places carrots in 2 quart saucepan with enough water to cover carrots (add salt if desired), cover and place on medium to medium-high heat.
- Cook carrots until fork tender.
- While carrots are cooking, grind 3/4 cup almonds to desired consistency.
- Transfer carrots to food processor and puree.
In a medium bowl, mix 2 cups carrot puree with brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices using hand mixer. Add almonds and continue mixing until well blended.
Allow to cool before serving on toast, pancakes, waffles, etc.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- If you know how to can foods, this one would be good year round