I was compensated by ACT for my time on this sponsored post but all opinions are my own.
Did you know that a child’s teeth are at risk of decay when they first appear? According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry tooth decay is the most common chronic childhood disease, and yet it is easily preventable. Cavities form when bacteria produce acid on the teeth as they metabolize sugars. Prevention begins with good oral hygiene, but as a mom, I know better that getting kids to maintain a good oral care routine can be a challenge! As we move into the candy and treat filled season ahead, check out these tips to harvest a healthy smile!
Harvest a Healthy Smile with ACT Kids Anticavity Rinse
- Introduce proper oral hygiene habits early! Cleaning an infant’s gums with a damp washcloth helps get them ready for brushing their teeth!
- Brush at least twice daily, after breakfast and at bedtime. Set a timer, for two minutes, to help them learn to brush long enough. Help them until they are able to do it proficiently on their own. Avoid rinsing with water after tooth brushing because it will wash away the fluoride and reduce its benefits.
- Once they are 6+ years old and able to swish and spit, introduce mouthwash that has fluoride, like ACT Kids Anticavity Rinse. ACT Kids Anticavity Rinse was ranked as the #1 recommended children’s mouthwash by pharmacists in the 2016 OTC Guide from Pharmacy Times.
- Floss daily as soon as teeth start to touch each other!
- Regular dental visits. Generally speaking, kids should see the dentist at least every six months.
- Limit starches and sugars in their diet. Fruit snacks, juices, candy, and other sugary items should be limited to occasional treats only.
Did you know that poor oral hygiene habits can contribute to more serious health problems? It’s true! The Mayo Clinic suggests that poor dental habits can contribute to cardiovascular disease, respiratory infections, and may also factor into other health problems. Good dental habits is more important than many even realize!
To help your kiddo harvest a healthy smile this season, I’ve partnered with ACT Kids Anticavity Rinse to give away an “Anticavity Goody Bag” (including a bottle of ACT Kids Anticavity Rinse, a mouthwash timer, dentist-approved treats, and more!) to one lucky winner.
ACT provided me with the Anticavity Goody Bag pictured in this post.
Need to get kids excited about dental care? Add a book about dental care to your routine. Kids often relate to books so much better than us just telling them!