Finding cute Valentine’s Day decor for your home is fun to do. So is making making it. This cute DIY chenille heart tree doesn’t require a lot of supplies, or a lot of time! You may even already have everything you need in your craft supplies… I do.
DIY Chenille Heart Tree
This craft project calls for chenille yarn. Chenille yarn has a rich velvety texture and is super soft to the touch. It is typically made of polyester and is machine washable, though you won’t be tossing the chenille heart tree in the washer. Chenille yarn is available in various weights. To achieve the look of this project, you’ll want chunky chenille yarn.
You can also make these craft trees with a thinner chenille yarn or other types of yarn. It would also be really cute made with this fur yarn. The sky is the limit, really.
- foam cone
- chenille yarn in white, pink, or red.
- Valentine's Day scrapbook paper
- craft glue
- hot glue
- heart shaped paper punches (optional)
- hot glue gun
1. Begin by placing a dab of glue on the end of your chenille yarn. Press the end to the bottom of the side of the Styrofoam cone. Be careful that the end is not underneath the cone, as that will make it wobbly.
2. Start wrapping the yarn around the cone working your way up.
3. Wrap tightly as you go and make sure there are no gaps in the yarn.
4. Once the cone is covered, you can cut the yarn to fit and glue the remaining end of yarn at the top of the cone.
5. Using your scissors, or heart shaped punch, cut out various hearts from your scrapbook paper. These can be in any color or pattern, and in any size.
6. Add a dab of glue to the back of each heart and press to the tree. Hold in place until secure.
7. Finish the tree by adding one final heart to the very top.
- Be sure to exercise caution when adhering the yarn to the cone and when securing the hearts to the cone, to avoid burning yourself.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Chunky Chenille Yarn, 100% Polyester, Vegan, Super Chunky Yarn, Jumbo Yarn,Knitting Materials,for Extreme arm Knitting, Chunky Knit Yarn, Luxury Chenille Yarn, Chunky Blanket Yarn (White, 250g)
- Happyyami 6pcs Craft Foam Cone White Styrofoam Cones for DIY Home Craft Project Christmas Tree Table Centerpiece 24CM
Now the project says it takes 30 minutes. That is a generous estimate and includes time for gathering your supplies, actually wrapping the chenille around the cone, allowing everything to dry. You’ll probably be ready to display Valentine’s Day heart tree much more quickly.
Not feeling the paper hearts? Replace them with this heart shaped table scatter.
Heart shaped or printed ribbon would also be cute.
This tree is beautiful to display on it’s own, but would also be cute in a staggered height grouping of three.
Toss some simple red and white plaid pillows on your couch, and put this simple valentine tree on your mantle to make your room cheery!
Need more ideas for finishing off the room? Be sure to check out these cute Valentine’s Day Decor ideas!
I’ve also got some ideas for fun Valentine’s Day activities for kids posted, so get ready for a fun filled day!