When you’re camping with kids – meals around the camp fire can be so much fun. You want to make sure the things they nosh on will actually nourish them. Serving food they will actually want to eat will go a long way toward making mealtime memories .
Kids will nosh and be nourished with these kid freindly meal ideas for camping!Click To Tweet
Camping With Kids – Meals
Breakfast can be as simple as simple as bacon and eggs or biscuits and gravy. A hard carrying case to keep your eggs intact and a cast iron skillet are about all you need. Of course, frying the bacon first will serve as the grease for the eggs. If making biscuits and gravy, you’ll want to use some oil in the skillet and use your Dutch Oven for the gravy.
- Hot Dogs over the campfire. This is a lot of fun and very easy to do.
You can put a little twist on the regular hot dog roasting by wrapping the hot dogs in some dough from one of the biscuit tubes that you can get most anywhere.Remind your friends to pack their marshmallow sticks!Click To Tweet
- Peanut Butter and Jelly is a kid staple in most families. It is also a quick easy meal while camping
- Tacos in a bag is a meal that you will love as the cleanup is super simple. Precook your ground meat. Take small bags of corn chips, Doritos, or other chip of your choice. Have your kids crumble up the chips. Cut the top off. Add in the ground meat, cheese, and other toppings. Wrap the bags in foil and put on hot coals to warm everything up. Remove them from the fire and serve in the chip bag. Simply throw empty chip bag away.
- Campfire Mac and Cheese. This takes a little preparation before your trip, but is a fun meal to have with your kids. Mac and cheese is extremely easy to make in the Dutch Oven.
- Campfire pizza is another great meal idea. We know kids love pizza. We have a cast iron pizza pan that does the job well. You can also use your cast iron skillet or Dutch oven to make a wonderful pizza pie.
- Baked Potatoes can make good meals for kids. If your kids are not into baked potatoes, you can cut them up into smaller sizes once you have cooked them to make fries. Make sure you don’t forget yummy fixings such as cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, mushrooms, or whatever else your family likes.
- We make a dish called Garbage. It is a combination of eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, and cheese. It is one of our family favorites, and is so easy because everything just goes into the Dutch oven.
Snacks and Sides
- Fruit and vegetables make excellent treats or meals. You can either get pre-cut up fruits or vegetables or you can cut them up yourself. If you can find a local Farmers Market or Stand, it will give you fresher and better food.
- Corn on the cob is an excellent fun meal especially in the summer. You can often find it fresh from local farmers or gardens. Make the kids shuck the corn. Wrap the corn in tin foil with some butter. Put it on the hot coals to cook. Enjoy this wonderful meal.
- This is not your typical banana. Cut a slit down the middle of the banana. Add in nuts or for extra special treat chocolates. Wrap the banana in tin foil and place on hot coals. Once ready take banana out and enjoy this tasty treat.
- No camping experience is complete whether you’re a kid or a kid at heart without S’mores. Change things up if you like to be adventurous and try marshmallows with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Hershey’s Cookies and Creams Chocolate bar, or a peppermint patty. Whether you keep it classic or be adventurous S’mores are a must. While it isn’t a “meal” per se, it is a end to the day!
They say the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach. This is definitely true when you’re camping with kids, and my kids are proof that when well fed they are much more loving. That is especially true when we are out in the wild. ;)