Books are a great way to teach kids about manners because it gives them relatable characters and an entertaining story to help get the point across. Although there are a plethora of different books and series that touch on the subject of using appropriate social behavior, these books are the best ones. IMHO.
The Best Books about Manners for Kids
The Berenstain Bears
The Berenstain Bears series is a classic collection that touches on a myriad of different life lessons and situations. From good eating habits and sportsmanship to making friends and following directions, there are several excellent options that highlight how Bother and Sister Bear learn to be good.
The Berenstain Bears and the Golden RuleThe Berenstain Bears and the TruthThe Berenstain Bears: Kindness CountsThe Berenstain Bears Forget Their MannersThe Berenstain Bears Show Some RespectThe Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
Help Me Be Good
The Help Me Be Good collection is a series of books written by Joy Berry that specifically address common problems that kids often experience: whining, lying, interrupting etc. Although this series may not be readily available at your local book store due to their age, they are still great books for helping kids learn how to use good manners. We snag these titles whenever we can!
How Do Dinosaurs
How Do Dinosaurs… books are a part of a newer series that is quite popular! Not only do they have a great moral to the story, but the illustrations are phenomenal. The kids absolutely love them!
The Llama Llama Mama books also feature a few titles that are great for teaching etiquette in specific situations that are common for little ones.
The Little Critters
Finally, the Little Critter books are always a great choice of easy to read stories that follow a rather spunky family and their everyday happenings. Several of these books include topics related to good manners and appropriate behavior.
If you are looking for specific book titles dealing with manners, consider the following:
- Excuse Me! Is a fantastic board style book that is great for introducing manners at an early age.
- Do Unto Otters is a fun book about learning the Golden Rule through a story about new neighbors.
- Dude, That’s Rude is a great book that also touches on some of the modern manners that are necessary when dealing with technology of computers and cell phones.
- Rules of the Wild is a comedic story that relates appropriate behaviors to fun loving animals.
- Manners Can Be Fun is a classic book that touches on the most common manners that kids should learn.
- What If Everyone Did That is a fun look at what would happen if EVERYONE acted thoughtlessly.
Kids learn so much from the books that they read and from the shows that they watch. Let’s fill them with the good stuff.