It’s hard for me to believe that I have a preschooler, a 3rd grader, and a 5th grader! As I mentioned in my Choosing a Homeschool Curriculum post, choosing curriculum *can* be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are our 3rd grade curriculum picks for homeschool.
While we do use a lot of books from the Sonlight curriculum lists, we add our own selections in there, too.
Our 3rd Grade Curriculum Picks
3rd Grade Language Arts
Language Arts, for us, is where things get a little dicey, so I’ll share that first. My 8yo has a double deficit learning difference and dyslexia is part of that. She also has some movement issues with her eyes which requires vision therapy. We work with a private tutor, who uses the Orton Gillingham method along with the Wilson Reading Program. She does well with the Explode the Code series, and we’re going to test the waters with Sequential Spelling and Daily Grammar Practice. What we end up using throughout the year will completely depend on what works for her and what doesn’t produce tears. Since she works SO hard with just reading, much of her shelf will be read aloud books. I love to read, so that isn’t a problem!
Our 3rd grade language arts includes:
- Wilson Reading System Student Workbooks
- Explode the Code Workbooks
- Sequential Spelling 2 and Sequential Spelling 3
- Daily Grammar Practice for 3rd Grade
- Handwriting without Tears for 3rd Grade
Our massive list of read aloud books includes:
- The Great Turkey Walk
- The Great Wheel
- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler
- A Summer of Sundays
- By the Great Horn Spoon
- Freedom Train
- Shades of Gray
- Turn Homeward, Hannalee
- Old Yeller
- Helen Keller
- All of a Kind Family
- William Wilberforce
- Hero Over Here
- Thimble Summer
- Plain Girl
- Gone Away Lake
- The Seventeenth Swap
- The Wright Brothers
- Sing Down the Moon
- Because of Winn Dixie
- Henry Reed, Inc
- George Washington Carver
- In Search of the Source
We also use a lot of colorful and fun language arts products from Oriental Trading.
3rd Grade Social Studies
I’m not gonna lie, social studies have never been my *thing.* That said, I had SO much fun last year (and relearned so much) with our social studies curriculum choices that I am looking forward to this year!
- The Story of the USA books 2, 3, and 4
- Wee Sing America CD
- Usborne The World Wars
- Children’s Encylopedia of American History
- The Landmark History of the American People II (we also have book I)
- Timeline book from Sonlight
- Timeline Figures E from Sonlight
3rd Grade Science
I love science, and I really want my kids to love science. I absolutely LOVE Usborne science books, and can’t wait to start using these!
- Usborne Book of Astronomy and Space
- DK See it for Yourself Energy from Sonlight
- Diary of an Early American Boy
- The Usborne Complete Book of the Microscope Internet Linked
- Usborne Electricity and Magnetism
- Light & Color from Sonlight
- Usborne Mysteries & Marvels of Science
- Tops 32- Electricity
- Tops 33- Magnetism
- Extra Science E Student Activity Sheets from Sonlight
3rd Grade Math
We use Everyday Mathematics spiraling math curriculum, which is a comprehensive Pre-K through Grade 6 mathematics program. In a spiral curriculum, math concepts are revisited repeatedly over months and across grades.
- Everyday Math for 3rd Grade Student Resource Book
- Everyday Math for 3rd Grade Student Journal 1
- Everyday Math for 3rd Grade Student Journal 2
We add in base ten counting blocks, playing cards, geometry peg boards, and other math manipulatives to keep math fun.
As you can see, there is quite a bit in our 3rd grade curriculum picks. We do school year round, so I hope to get through most of them. 😉
I’ll share reviews of the different books we’re using along the way.
Be sure to check out what other bloggers have chosen in the iHomeschool Network Back to Homeschool Blog Hop Curriculum Week, beginning September 4, 2017!
Gina @ Oaxacaborn says
I recognize a ton of these titles — looks like a super exciting year!