October is SIDS Awareness Month. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is defined as the sudden death of an child, less than one year of age, that is unexpected and cannot be explained after a thorough case investigation. HALO Innovation’s, makers of the SleepSack® wearable blankets, is committed to raising awareness and will donate $1 to Safe Sleep Organizations for every new like they receive on the HALO SleepSack Page on Facebook.
HALO recently sent us a SleepSack, in one of their new designs, to try out with Little Miss. We had a few of their heavier SleepSacks, as well as their SleepSack Swaddle, so we already knew that we were big fans of of HALO.
HALO is consistently innovating their products, and the HALO SleepSack 100% Cotton Wearable Blanket, pushed us right over the edge of fandom. Just look at Little Miss, sleeping soundly in her crib, in her HALO SleepSack! It is too stinking cute, and she’s obviously comfortable!
The embroidery on the design says “back is best,” which is a gentle reminder to parents to use Safe Sleep practices. I absolutely love that the SleepSack zips from the top down. That means I can change diapers quickly and easily, without having to remove it! I also love that I can put a short sleeve bodysuit on Little Miss if it’s warmer out, or a regular pajamas if it’s cooler.
While there is no way to completely prevent SIDS, there are Safe Sleep steps that we can take to reduce the risks associated with SIDS.
- Always place babies on their backs to sleep. Back to sleep, tummy to play.
- Ensure that your crib mattress meets current safety standards. Crib mattress should be firm and fit snugly in the crib frame. Crib sheets should be tight fitting.
- Avoid soft, loose, or fluffy objects in the crib. Crib bumpers, blankets, stuffed animals, and the like should not be placed in the crib while baby is sleeping.
- Use a SleepSack to keep baby warm, if needed.
- Keep the room temperature at a constant, comfortable level, and avoid allowing your baby to get too warm.
- If possible, room with baby. If not rooming with baby, a quality baby monitor can help you listen for changes in your baby’s breathing pattern.
- Educate your loved ones and care providers about safe sleep practices.
- HALO would like to help you keep your little one safe in sleep, too. One lucky reader will receive 1 HALO SleepSack (US or Canada) and can specify size and gender preference. Enter below, and good luck!
HALO Innovation’s founder, Bill Schmid, lost his own infant daughter to SIDS. His incredible tragedy has led to safe sleep for countless babies. HALO Innovation’s SleepSack® wearable blankets have become the standard for hospital nurseries and parents alike. In fact, 1,000 hospital nurseries use the HALO SleepSack Swaddle instead of blankets through the HALO Safer Way to Sleep Initiative. That is 1.5 million births getting first-hand, in-hospital experience with the HALO SleepSack Swaddle and safe sleep practices! Modeling safe sleep practices for parents in the hospital is the key to safer sleep practices at home. HALO Innovations also offers free Safe Sleep Practices kits to childbirth educators to help further the cause of SIDS prevention. HALO SleepSack products is the ONLY wearable blanket to boast gold seals from First Candle/SIDS Alliance and the Canadian Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths. A portion of every sale goes to First Candle/SIDS Alliance and The Canadian Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths