I tend to NOT make New Year’s Resolutions. I don’t like resolutions. Likely because I know that many people (i.e. 40%) who set New Years Resolutions abandon them within the first thirty day. Tack on another 30 days, and well over half of the resolution makers have achieved nothing more than feelings of humiliation and/or failure at having let themselves down yet again. Nope. I don’t go for that. Instead, I set goals. SMART goals. Goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time-targeted.
Here are my SMART Goals I’ve set for 2014.
- Join the local gym and work out with my bestie, Amanda, 2-3x/wk—I actually joined this week, and started working out on my own. Maybe I’ll share in my next post what my 2014 starting measurements are… sigh
- Read one book per month just for fun—because my dear friend Abby says I read a lot of books that are “good for me.” I’m starting with Where’s My Son and Bloodstain by John Dalglish and A Drink Before the War and Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane. Mostly because I have them on my Kindle and I haven’t read them yet. If I like the first one by Dennis Lehane, I’ll have to get the one’s in between it and the fifth one in the series. LOL. If you can recommend a great book I can read, just for fun, let me know!
- Read one book per month that is “good for me.” I am currently reading Mark Driscoll’s A Call to Resurgence. My husband got me the book Mentor Me! The Complete Guide for Women Who Want to Mentor Girls and my Secret Santa got me the book Leading Women Who Wound: Strategies for an Effective Ministry, and I want to read The Mentor Leader, so I already have my next three lined up.
- Run three 5K’s and a 15K in 2014. I registered Go! St Louis 5K in April yesterday. Squeal!
- Finish the 2013-14 homeschool year by June 1st, so we can take 2 weeks off of school. Right now we are on track to finish before that, thanks to tracking with Scholaric!
- Drink at least 3 glasses of water per day. I drink more coffee than anything, so this one will be a challenge. I hate the taste of water. It taste like minerals to me. Bleh. I’ve already choked down three glasses today, so hopefully the next 364 days will go smoothly.
- Try at least one new recipe per month. That should be easy enough with eMeals My family are creatures of habit—more than that may send them into shock.
- Write at least two sermons—considering I am scheduled to preach in Youth group in this month, one is already under way.
- Go to Colorado—because I’ve never been.
- Buy a new DSLR camera—since I broke two cameras and two lenses, I can’t ask Hubs to replace them. I’m dreaming of Canon T3i, which means I have to start saving my pennies…
What are your SMART goals for 2014?