I was playing around in the kitchen, and decided to make oatmeal bars. I’ve never made oatmeal bars, but I figured it couldn’t be much different than oatmeal cookies, right? Except you throw more stuff in. So, I started with a basic oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, switched the raisins for cranberries, and started adding stuff. Here’s the final recipe
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (NOT the quick cook oats)
- 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 raw apple, cored and sliced
- 1 raw zucchini, cut in chunks
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Spray 13x18x1 inch cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Placed apple and zucchini in food processor and pulse until chopped well. Add shredded carrot and dried cranberries and mix well. Set aside.
- Into stand mixer bowl, sift together flour, Splenda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add oats, and stir until well blended.
- In separate bowl, combine egg, water, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Add carrot zucchini apple mixture to dry mix and, with bowl locked in place, begin mixing on low. Slowly add egg mixture.
- Spread mixture into pre-sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, until edges and top are slightly crispy.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing into 48 pieces.
Per piece: Calories- 51 Total Fat- 2.4g Sat. Fat- 1.3g Cholest.- 5.1mg Sodium- 48.7mg Carb.- 6.7g Fiber- 0.9g Sugars- 2g Protein- 0.9g
and here’s Sister enjoying one…
When Hubs walked in the door, he promptly ate four of them!
The best part is, Mister likes them, too. And he protests all things green!
***ETA*** Thanks to everyone that p0inted out my error on the timing. I meant 30 minutes, not 30 hours. WHOOPS!