Last year, I had the pleasure of reviewing the Empowered Parenting Workbook, by Dr. Kathleen Cuneo, prior to publication. Kathleen Cuneo, Ph.D. is a psychologist, parent coach, and mom. Her mission is to empower parents to find their own parenting voice and develop strong connections with their children. Dr. Cuneo hosts the online membership program http://kitchentableparents.com/ for moms and dads seeking education and support to raise happy, healthy families.
Empowered Parenting: A Workbook for Parents of Toddlers and Preschoolers is a downloadable guide to help you to find your own parenting voice to become the parent you want to be.
• Are you unsure about your parenting skills and wonder whether you’re doing the right thing?
• Do you want to break the cycle of unhealthy family interactions, but you’re not sure how?
• Do you struggle to get your kids to listen to you unless you’re yelling at them?
• Do you feel like your kids are always pushing your buttons?
Empowered Parenting: A Workbook for Parents of Toddlers and Preschoolers
will help you:
• Gain control and implement a plan for a more peaceful home
• Really understand where your child is coming from
• Develop a parenting style that’s right for you and fits with your child’s unique temperament
• Nurture a deep emotional connection with your child
• Motivate your child towards positive behavior, without yelling!
• Decrease sibling squabbles
• Become the parent you’ve always wanted to be
When I reviewed the workbook, I really enjoyed it. But, I had NO idea how much I would need it in the months to come. At the time, Mister and Sister were one and two years old, and I had not yet encountered some of the things discussed in the book. My child not listen to me unless I am yelling? Please, I thought, I would never dream of yelling at my precious babies.
Fast forward to this year. Oh MY!
My kids never really fought until Christmas. Until the Mobigo. See, we bought Mister a Mobigo for Christmas. He was already three, and we figured it would be a fun toy for him. We did NOT buy one for Sister. She was only two, and we figured she was a bit young for it, yet. Insert sibling rivalry here. The fighting began Christmas morning. And it hasn’t stopped. Despite the fact that we got her a Mobigo for her birthday. Now they fight over who will use which one. We purposely got her the pink one to cut down on fights. But NO… she wants what HE has, regardless of the fact that she is holding her own and the two have the SAME exact game!
I’ve found myself going back to the workbook recently, in effort to both reduce the sibling squabbles and to figure out effective ways of getting my kidlets to do what I want them to do without me having to yell.
The Empowered Parenting Workbook has been an invaluable resource for me, and I would certainly recommend it to all parents. This workbook would be especially beneficial to parents of multiple children; parents who want to motivate positive behavior without yelling; and parents who feel like their kids are pushing their buttons.
The Empowered Parenting Workbook can be purchased as a pdf download at http://www.drcuneo.com/workbook.html. It is typically $22, however, Dr. Cuneo has graciously offered TBC readers a coupon code for $10 off the regular price, just enter MAR2011 in the discount code box, and be sure to update your cart before checking out, so that the discount is reflected in your total.
What parent resources have you found helpful in your journey to raising well adjusted children?