With the temperature cooling outdoors, my kids start reaching for the oatmeal in the morning, rather than the cold cereal. This year, I am determined to cut the cost of their packet a day habit! Armed with a recipe from my friend, Erika, which of course I tweaked to suit our own needs, I set out to make our own instant oatmeal packets, with a healthy twist.
This is literally so simple to do, I don’t know WHY I haven’t done it before!
To make our healthy instant oatmeal packets, I used quick oats, Kretschmer Wheat Germ, chia seeds, powdered milk, stevia, salt, and our mix-ins. Here’s the recipe…
- 1/3 cup Quick Oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds*
- 2 teaspoons Kretschmer Wheat Germ
- 3 teaspoons powdered dry milk**
- 2 teaspoons Stevia***
- 1 pinch of salt
- Optional Mix-Ins (i.e. chopped nuts, dried fruit, spices)
- Combine dry ingredients into individual snack or sandwich size bags.
- Store packets in the cupboard until ready to use.
- To make a packet of oatmeal, simply combine the dry ingredients with 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and microwave, in a microwave safe dish that is large enough to contain the expanded ingredients, on high for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes, stir, and enjoy! ***be careful, the dish may be hot!***
*Chia seeds add protein and fiber. **may omit the powdered dry milk if desired ***may substitute preferred dry sugar or sweetener to taste
My favorite flavor combination so far is the mixed berry with dates and a tad bit of vanilla mixed in when I cook it. Yum.
If you want to make it even more kid friendly, you can use colored sugar or candied sprinkles, but my kids are fine without it.
What would you mix-in?