Discover How the Words God Spoke Apply to Our Lives Today
“The best way to get to know people is to spend time listening to them. The same is true for your relationship with God. The best way to get to know Him is to pay attention to what He said throughout the Bible.” —R. P. Nettelhorst
(Nashville, TN) – Have you ever wondered what it would be like to hear God speak? Adam knew the sound. Moses and Abraham talked with God. But the concept is so strange to us. We hear people talk all the time. There are probably people talking around you as you read this. Are their words helpful to you? Can their words change your life?
A Year with God (Thomas Nelson, 978-0-8499-4698-1, $15.99, November 2010) is a 365-day study on the words God spoke to His people in the Old Testament and how those words reveal His nature. “In reading what God actually said, we can discover what really matters to God,” Nettlehorst says. Each day’s reading focuses on scriptures where God is specifically quoted—in conversation with someone, revealed in a dream, or presented by an angelic proclamation. From topics like hope, faith, and joy to fear, doubt, and sadness, A Year with God takes the very words of God and applies them to life’s daily challenges.
R. P. Nettelhorst is the author of many books, academic articles, and columns across the U.S. and abroad. He is founder and Academic VP of Quartz Hill School of Theology in Quartz Hill, California, where he is Professor of Bible and Biblical Languages. He is married and has three daughters. Hometown: Lancaster, California.
A Year with God is a 365-day devotional featuring the actual spoken words of God as presented in the Bible. Each day includes a passage of Scripture as well as a short story or devotional. This is going to sound silly, but one of the things that I really like about A Year with God is that the days are numbered, rather than dated. Meaning, you can start it the day you get it, rather than having to wait for January 1st. I KNOW that you can do that with any devotional, but I just hate not being on the “date” that I am supposed to be on, or starting in the middle of a book because I received it in September rather than in January.
A Year with God includes devotions on the following topics:
- Hope and Fear
- Love and Hate
- Perseverance and Quitting
- Faith and Doubt
- Loyalty and Betrayal
- Companionship and Isolation
- Mercy and Judgment
- Forgiveness and Anger
- Joy and Sadness
- Peace and Conflict
I also like the unique titling of each devotion, as it makes it easier to find a devotion for a day when you NEED something specific, or to pick an interesting read. For instance, Day 45 is titled “God Doesn’t Think Like We Do.” How true is that. The passage included is Isaiah 55:3, 6-9. The devotion included is one that I know I will come back to time and again.
A Year with God would make a great gift or stocking stuffer for one you love.
Buy it… A Year with God is available at many local Christian bookstores, Christianbook.com, Barnes&Noble.com, and on Amazon.com.
Win it… Thomas Nelson Publishers would like to offer A Year with God to two lucky Lady V dZine readers.
Mandatory entry… Simply visit Thomas Nelson Publishers and comment back with one other title you would love to add to your home library.
***Please note- this must be done before any bonus entries will count***
- +1- Follow me on GFC—right side bar, comment with your user name.
- +1- Like Lady V dZine on Facebook and comment back here with your screen name.
- +1- Subscribe to Lady V dZine by RSS or email and comment back with the e-mail you signed up with (one each)
- +1- Follow Lady V dZine on Twitter AND tweet this contest using @ladyvdzine and linking back to this post- comment with your tweet status (may be done up to 4x/day, at least 30 minutes apart)
- May use “#win A Year with God @ladyvdzine (11/21) http://goo.gl/GlQW @ThomasNelson #Christmas #giveaway #book”
- +1– Like Thomas Nelson on Facebook and comment back with your screen name.
- +1- Follow Thomas Nelson on Twitter and comment back with your profile name.
- +1- Share this giveaway on your Facebook page and comment back with a link to the share (may be done 1x/day).
- +1- For each current giveaway that you enter- comment with name of giveaway
- +1- For each non-giveaway post that you submit to StumbleUpon *may use the button in the top/bottom of each post to submit- comment back with your Stumble Upon profile and name of the post you submitted.
- +1- For each non-giveaway post that you leave a RELEVANT comment on- comment back with post title or link to post.
- +5- Blog this contest linking to this post- leave 5 comments here with a link to your post
The fine print…
Contest open to US addresses.. Contest ends at 11:59 a.m. CST on 11/21/2010. Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond with mailing address. If no response is received from the winning entrant, a new winner will be selected. Prize will be forfeited and donated to charity if not claimed by primary or alternate winners.
The fine folks at Thomas Nelson Publishers provided me with the aforementioned complimentary product(s) to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions express are 100% my own and are based on my own experience. Your experience may differ.