I’ve been having some *eh hem* digestive issues lately and have eliminated (at least temporarily) dairy and grains from my diet. I don’t know whether I’ve become lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, or something else entirely. I do know that I have made some real diet changes. Right now, if it can’t claim to have once been alive, I am not eating it. Whether it’s Eating Clean or Paleo, I am not certain. I do know that after a few weeks without dairy and grains, I will reintroduce dairy and grains individually to try and determine which has been bothering me.
In the meantime, we had pizza on the menu for dinner last night. I didn’t want to tell the fam that they couldn’t have pizza just because I can’t have it right now. So, I baked their pizza and made myself some cucumber pizza’s.
They were actually pretty good!
Cucumber pizza - gluten free, dairy free, and delicious!
- 1 medium cucumber
- 3 small yellow sweet peppers (or 1 large)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp Stevia
- 1-2 Tbsp pizza seasoning
- 4 ounces chicken breast (cut into chunks)
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Spray baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice cucumber into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Slice yellow sweet peppers.
- In a small bowl, combine 8 ounces tomato sauce with 1-2 tablespoons stevia (to taste) and 1-2 tablespoons pizza seasoning (to taste)
- Arrange cucumber slices on baking sheet.
- Top each cucumber slice with 1/2-1 teaspoon seasoned tomato sauce.
- Top with slice of yellow sweet pepper and a chunk of chicken breast.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until tomato sauce starts to darken.
- Serve warm.
I had 4 ounces tomato sauce and about 2 ounces of chicken breast left over. If I'd had another cucumber on hand, I would have made more cucumber pizzas. Yum.
While I had these for dinner, they would make great appetizers as well. I want to try them with zucchini and yellow squash, too. If you can handle the dairy, you can add some cheese to make these delicious bites even more delectable. They would be good with sausage also.
Before Christmas I did two weeks of no grain and no dairy. I felt pretty good. Then came the holiday sweets, and I binged on all kinds of tasty treats… and felt sluggish and mentally obtuse. So, here we go again.
Do you have any grain free, dairy free recipes I should check out?