I am ALWAYS looking for fun ways to incorporate learning into play. I hope to one day homeschool my kids, so I have scoured the internet for products and toys I can use for multiple purposes, that are fun, and that the kids will love. During my hours of searching, I have repeatedly come back to Learning Resources products, and added things to my “Wish List.”
Much to my delight, I recently received an opportunity to start working with Learning Resources. I immediately requested the 1 to 10 Counting Cans for review.
About the 1 to 10 Counting Cans
Colorful, familiar fruits and veggies introduce early math. Cans and their contents offer a variety of learning options—and are terrific for imaginative play!
Teaches counting, number recognition, number sense and sorting Reinforces everyday vocabulary and fine motor skills Supports early learners with clearly labeled cans featuring the numeral, word and picture Includes 55 colorful plastic fruits and vegetables sorted into their appropriate containers Durable, lightweight cardboard cans with lids stack or store in their carton Activity Guide offers intervention strategies Cans measure 3″ in diameter x 4.25″H Grades PreK+
When the box came in, I was really excited.
I set the cans out on the table and told the kids we were going to play a new game. They were both pretty excited, because they love playing games. First I gave Mister a can and told him to open it. The lids fit well on the cans, so he had to have a little help the first time. I explained that we were going to count the items in the can, and he said, “Oh, that will be fantabulous.” LOL.
I gave Sister a can as well, and told her we would count hers next.
We counted everything in each of the cans SEVERAL times!
Mister has decided to call the the game the “can game.” We play it nearly every day, and if we don’t, he asks for it. Some days we just count the pieces. Some days I dump them all out on the table and mix them up before we sort them back into the correct cans. Some days I mix it up and put pieces in the wrong cans to see if he can figure it out. We also work on number recognition, since the numbers are printed on the cans.
My parents came over this past Monday evening, and Mister had both of them playing, too. My Mom was extremely impressed with the cans and commented several times how she would like to have something like that for the kids in her class at church. My Dad got a kick out of watching Mister count the kidney beans.
I do have to watch Sister, to make sure she doesn’t put the cans in her mouth since they are made from cardboard. But, I figure worst case scenario—if they destroy the cans at some point, I can add the fruit to their play kitchen.
The 1 to 10 Counting Cans retail for $44.99 and are one smart investment!
Another item on my Wish List is the Smart Snacks® Counting Fun Fruit Bowl™. They would make a perfect Christmas gift!
Learning Resources would like to give one lucky Lady V dZine reader their own Smart Snacks® Counting Fun Fruit Bowl set.
Buy it… You can shop all of the great learning toys at http://www.learningresources.com/.
Win it… Learning Resources would like to offer one lucky Lady V dZine reader an item of choice, up to $40 value, from their site.
Mandatory entry… simply visit Learning Resources and comment back her telling me another item you would like to own.
***Please note- this must be done before any bonus entries will count***
- +1- Follow me on GFC—right side bar, comment with your user name.
- +1- Like Lady V dZine on Facebook and comment back here with your screen name.
- +1- Subscribe to Lady V dZine by RSS or email and comment back with the e-mail you signed up with (one each)
- +1- Follow Lady V dZine on Twitter AND tweet this contest using @ladyvdzine and linking back to this post- comment with your tweet status (may be done up to 4x/day, at least 30 minutes apart)
- May use “#win Smart Snacks Counting Fruit Bowl at @ladyvdzine (11/14) http://goo.gl/5MEd @LearningHandsOn #preschool #giveaway #toy #Christmas”
- +1– Like Learning Resources on Facebook and comment back with your screen name.
- +1- Follow Learning Resources on Twitter and comment back with your profile name.
- +1- Share this giveaway on your Facebook page and comment back with a link to the share (may be done 1x/day).
- +1- For each current giveaway that you enter- comment with name of giveaway
- +1- For each non-giveaway post that you submit to StumbleUpon *may use the button in the top/bottom of each post to submit- comment back with your Stumble Upon profile and name of the post you submitted.
- +1- For each non-giveaway post that you leave a RELEVANT comment on- comment back with post title or link to post.
- +5- Blog this contest linking to this post- leave 5 comments here with a link to your post
The fine print…
Contest open to US addresses.. Contest ends at 11:59 a.m. CST on 11/14/2010. Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond with mailing address. If no response is received from the winning entrant, a new winner will be selected. Prize will be forfeited and donated to charity if not claimed by primary or alternate winners.
The fine folks at Learning Resources provided me with the 1 to 10 Counting Cans set to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions express are 100% my own and are based on my own experience. Your experience may differ.