I am an official ambassador for Dole Fresh Fruits and Vegetables and I received compensation by Dole in exchange for my honest opinion/recipe development. As always, opinions expressed are mine.
We go through a lot of bananas in our house. A lot. From munching on them as snacks, to using them in my naturally gluten free banana pancakes, a bunch of bananas is almost always within reach for my kiddos. As you can see, even the littlest tries to help herself. LOL. I love bananas because they are a perfectly portable healthy snack.
About those naturally gluten banana pancakes… these are ridiculously easy to make and healthy to boot! Really all you need are egg whites and bananas! That’s right, these delicious pancakes are completely flourless! Oh, and whatever toppings you like, such as fresh berries, feta cheese, chopped nuts, or nut butter.
If your aim is to remain gluten free, pay attention to your toppings, as not all are created equal (real feta cheese, like most real cheeses, is gluten free, but processed cheeses may not be). The pancakes are naturally sweetened by the bananas, so you can have a stack of yum with out the added sugar or syrup.
Here’s my recipe…
- 4 medium DOLE bananas
- 1 cup egg whites - about 8
- 2 tsp butter or non-stick spray *optional if using non-stick griddle, needed if using skillet*
- toppings of choice (DOLE fresh berries, feta cheese, chopped nuts or nut butter)
- Preheat griddle to 350 º F or medium sized skillet to medium heat
- Smash banana with fork or potato masher
- Whisk egg whites lightly
- Combine smashed banana and egg whites and stir till combined
- *If desired, spray griddle with nonstick spray or drop 1 tsp butter on griddle and spread. If using skillet, you'll need the butter to keep them from sticking*
- Pour mixture onto griddle, about 2-4 tablespoons for pancakes (I used a ¼ measuring cup and filled ⅔rds full).
- Use bottom of spoon or measuring cup to spread evenly.
- Let cook for 2 minutes, or until golden brown and turns easily.
- Cook on remaining side 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- ***note- if you turn it too soon, it will be delicious banana mash*
- Top with your choice of toppings. I like to use smashed raspberries and feta cheese.
Ridiculously easy, right?
Beware… they disappear quickly!
Speaking of bananas, I’m excited to share that the Dole Get Up and Grow! Tour will be in St. Louis area July 30-August 4!
WHAT IS THE GET UP AND GROW TOUR? It’s an 11,700-mile, 115-day journey organized by the Dole Food Company and Blue Diamond Almond Breeze to give North Americans a number of tangible ways to make 2015 their healthiest and happiest summer EVER! We are directly challenging local residents to eat better this summer to receive some exciting health and wellness rewards. We’ll ultimately be stopping at 480 supermarkets and special events throughout the U.S. and Canada through September.
The Get Up and Grow Tour Caravan is a wrapped van and trailer with kitchen and sampling tent that offers free recipe samples, a DIY smoothie bar, free giveaways for the kids, expert nutritional advice by our resident RD or produce expert and other surprises. Visitors can also create their own customizable, interactive pledge that gives them the chance to receive wellness rewards like free DOLE fresh produce, Fitbits® and a wellness getaway in California. Visitors can sample a variety of fruit, vegetable and salad recipes created for Get Up and Grow and learn about many other recipes, including the Charred Summer Salad, which has been proclaimed 2015’s “Official Salad of Summer.”
Tour stops include:
- 07/30/15 Swansea Schnucks at 2665 North Illinois St., Swansea, IL 62221 from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- 07/31/15 Hampton Village Schnucks at 60 Hampton Village Plaza, St Louis, MO from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- 07/31/15 Ballwin Schnucks at 2511 Khers Mill Rd, Ballwin, MO from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 08/01/15 St. Charles Sav-A-Lot at 1900 First Capitol Dr, St. Charles, MO from 10 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- 08/01/15 Godfrey Schnucks at 2712 Godfrey Rd, Godfrey, IL from 3:15 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 08/02/15 St Louis Sav-A-Lot at 6840 Page Ave, St Louis, MO from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- 08/02/15 St Louis Sav-A-Lot at 4447 Natural Bridge Ave, St Louis, MO from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 08/03/15 Overland Sav-A-Lot at 9430 Midland Ave, Overland, MO from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- 08/03/15 St Louis Sav-A-Lot at 3646 Page Blvd, St Louis, MO from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 08/04/15 St Louis Sav-A-Lot at 1601 S Jefferson Ave, St Louis, MO from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- 08/04/15 St Louis Sav-A-Lot at 3427 S Jefferson Ave, St Louis, MO from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Even if you can’t make one of the Get Up and Grow Tour Caravan stops, you create create your own customizable, interactive pledge that gives you the chance to receive wellness rewards like free DOLE fresh produce, Fitbits® and a wellness getaway in California. online at http://dolegetupandgrow.com/